Random Linkage: Where’d You Go?
It’s been a while friends. You’re used to my spotty updates by now. That’s why we’re friends 🙂
- You all know that I love me some hooky, poppy, powerful punk rock. I’m a big fan of PEARS (who I have to credit Rod from Lion’s Roar for introducing me to). Recently their lead singer, Zach posted some honest talk about his struggles and his successes on Facebook and you should read it. Here’s a snippet that really resonated with me (as a fellow anxiety junkie) –
“And so I raise my glass of water: here’s to letting go. I shall try to no longer ask for joy, but to allow my myself to have it. This is about unlearning years and years of a bad inner monologue, a shitty script. This isn’t an issue of self control, this is a matter of self acceptance. I have tasted true freedom recently thanks to those who support me, and I want more.”
- Speaking of self-compassion… I just read this book recently and it is so very good. Get it for your self or other selves that you know who could use a little bit of kindness.
- My teacher, Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is coming to teach in Montreal soon and I’m beyond happy. Like deliriously happy. It will be the first time I’ll be in the same room as him and not seeing him projected via images on a screen or a voice on a podcast or mp3 teaching. Anyone else have this kind of experience in after a long time of not encountering your teacher (or other significant person in your life) and then BOOM – they’re instantly a few feet away from you? Talking. Being. Maybe it’ll be like the time I saw Gene Simmons give a talk and I kept saying “Uhhhh….The 9 year old me would not believe that this is happening! Uhhh. I am going to throw up!” Or maybe it will be an ordinary experience. Like seeing a childhood pen pal and totally connecting over tea. Or maybe a blend of both experiences? Or a whole new one? Maybe I’ll strap a GoPro camera on my head to give a running commentary of it all. Or maybe I’ll just go with it.
- “The Dharma of Harm Reduction” from the mighty Buddhist Peace Fellowship is an important read.
- Ever read a blog post that summarizes how you feel? This is that post (minus the yachting!)